Improving educator effectiveness is a large component of every current, major state and federal education initiative. In fact, the Education Commission of the States reports that 19 states have revamped their teacher evaluation systems in the past year--and many others are currently debating changes. These changes are also the result of federal programs, such as Race to the Top, the reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, and the Teacher Incentive Fund grants.
To assist states and school districts as they undertake the critical task of developing and launching next-generation educator effectiveness systems, Pearson today unveiled a new guide, "Evaluating Teachers and Principals: Developing Fair, Valid, and Reliable Systems."
This guide aims to help policymakers, state board members, school district leaders, and other stakeholders as they design educator effectiveness systems that are fair, valid, and legally defensible.
"Moving to new ways of thinking about teacher evaluation and career development for educators requires transforming the cultures of schools and districts around the country. For this to occur, stakeholders at all levels, from parents to representatives of teachers to governmental officials, must be a part of the discussion,” said Cynthia G. Brown, Vice President for Education Policy at the Center for American Progress. “Pearson's new guide is intended to help build successful educator effectiveness systems and serve as a platform to foster a healthy national dialogue about the process, its challenges, and opportunities."Pearson's guide walks education leaders through numerous steps necessary to engage stakeholders effectively and build a strong policy framework for educator effectiveness systems. Steps include:
- Defining the construct for what constitutes an effective educator
- Deploying multiple indicators to reveal evidence that characterizes good teaching and school leadership
- Building strong data analysis and reporting tools to reveal useful information about students, educators, and schools, including how they perform and how they can continually improve through targeted feedback and ongoing professional development
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts