MEDELLIN, Colombia, March 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, BANCOLOMBIA S.A. (NYSE: CIB; BVC: BCOLOMBIA, PFBCOLOM) ("Bancolombia" or "the Bank") announced its earnings results for the fourth quarter of 2011.
For the quarter ended December 31, 2011 ("4Q11"), Bancolombia reported consolidated net income of COP 504 billion, or COP 640 per share – USD 1.32 per ADR, which represents an increase of 19% as compared to the results for the quarter ended September 30, 2011 ("3Q11") and of 17% as compared to the results for the quarter ended on December 31, 2010 ("4Q10"). Cumulative net income for 2011 was COP 1,664 billion, 16% higher than that for the same period of the previous year.
Bancolombia ended 4Q11 with COP 85,463 billion in assets, 6% higher than those at the end of 3Q11 and 26% greater than at the end 4Q10. At the same time, liabilities totaled COP 76,470 billion and increased 6% as compared to the figure presented in 3Q11 and 27% as compared to 4Q10 (1).
- Net loans grew 7% during the quarter and 27% compared to 4Q10. This growth is in line with the current environment of solid credit demand in Colombia.
- Net interest income increased 1.5% during the quarter and 18.5% compared to 4Q10. These increases are the result of loan growth coupled with a funding strategy that allowed the Bank to maintain a moderate cost of deposits during the quarter as a measure to defend the net interest margin, which ended the period at 5.62%
- Loan portfolio quality continues showing a good trend. Loan deterioration during 4Q11 was COP 89 billion, and past due loans as a percentage of total loans were 2.2%. Net provision charges for past due loans and foreclosed assets totaled COP 328 billion for the quarter.
- The balance sheet remains strong. Loan loss reserves represented 4.6% of total loans and 210% of past due loans at the end of 4Q11. The capital adequacy ratio ended the quarter at 12.5% (Tier 1 of 9%).
- Profitability. The annualized return on equity ("ROE") for 4Q11 was 23.1%. ROE for the year 2011 was 20.2%, which represents an increase from the 19.7% reported in 2010.
Contact InformationBancolombia's Investor RelationsPhone (574) 4041837 / (574) 4041838E-mail: email@example.com Alejandro Mejia (IR Manager) / Catalina Botero (Analyst)Website: http://www.grupobancolombia.com/investorrelations(1) This report corresponds to the consolidated financial statements of BANCOLOMBIA S.A. ("BANCOLOMBIA") and its affiliates of which it owns, directly or indirectly more than 50% of the voting capital stock. These financial statements have been prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles in Colombia and the regulations of Superintendencia Financiera de Colombia, collectively COL GAAP. BANCOLOMBIA maintains accounting records in Colombian pesos, referred to herein as "Ps." or "COP". Certain monetary amounts, percentages and other figures included in this report have been subject to rounding adjustments. There have been no changes to the Bank's principal accounting policies in the quarter ended December 31, 2011. The statements of income for the quarter ended December 31, 2011 are not necessarily indicative of the results for any other future interim period. For more information, please refer to the Bank's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which are available on the Commission's website at www.sec.gov. CAUTIONARY NOTE REGARDING FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS: This release contains statements that may be considered forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the U.S. Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the U.S. Securities Exchange Act of 1934. All forward-looking statements, whether made in this release or in future filings or press releases or orally, address matters that involve risks and uncertainties; consequently, there are or will be factors, including, among others, changes in general economic and business conditions, changes in currency exchange rates and interest rates, introduction of competing products by other companies, lack of acceptances of new products or services by our targeted customers, changes in business strategy and various others factors, that could cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated in such statements. We do not intend, and do not assume any obligation, to update these forward-looking statements. Certain monetary amounts, percentages and other figures included in this report have been subject to rounding adjustments. Any reference to BANCOLOMBIA means the Bank together with its affiliates, unless otherwise specified.