NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- If you invested in the following 10 stocks 10 years ago and held on to them throughout the financial meltdown, you'd be the financial genius of the decade.
Meanwhile, if that $1,000 would have been invested in the benchmark S&P 500 Index, it would have lost 19% of its value. Most of the decline would have occurred during the Great Recession, when the S&P 500 plummeted starting in the fall of 2008. The benchmark index is now at the highest level since summer 2008 as the U.S. and, now, Europe have adopted monetary policies to fuel a rally in riskier assets.
The top 10 stocks of the past decade represent a wide range of sectors. Energy firms and companies that offer unique products to their consumers have fared the best. Some could very well be great stocks to own over the next decade. Others will rely on trends in China or government regulation to mimic the growth they recorded in the past decade.The 10 best-performing components of the S&P 500 have gained between 1,290% to 4,900%, topped by none other than Apple (AAPL), maker of the iPod, iPhone and iPad. In the reverse order of performance, here are the S&P 500's 10 best-performing stocks of the decade:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV