By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Career Education (CECO) plunged last week and the bears are looking for more.
OptionMonster's real-time tracking system detected the purchase of 3,200 April 7 puts for 20 cents on Friday. Volume was more than five times open interest in the strike.
Put contracts lock in the price where investors can sell shares and can be used to hedge on a long position or to speculate on a share-price drop. They can provide significant leverage to the downside, but these puts will also expire worthless if Career Education's stock fails to push lower over the next six weeks.The stock declined 4.98% to $8.20 on Friday, losing more than 30% of its value in the last week. Most of that move followed the release of quarterly results on Tuesday, when investors focused on continued enrollment declines despite profit beating expectations. The stock had traded below $7 in December, and based on Friday's activity traders apparently see it going back toward that level. Overall option volume was six times greater than average in the session, with puts outnumbering calls by 16 to 1. Russell has no positions in CECO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV