As Employment Grows, Americans Are Itching to Change Jobs
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- A study by national executive search firm FPC says that four in five Americans want to change their jobs. What's behind the numbers, and is the economy even strong enough to grant workers their wish?
As part of FPC's 2011 Year in Review, the recruiting firm interviewed 1,500 U.S. workers, of whom a whopping 79% said they "were planning on looking for a new job once the economy improves."
|In a recent survey, four in five Americans said they want to switch jobs.|
The laundry list of reasons FPC culled from its survey participants tells a story of workforce warriors with limited opportunities and a long memory of transgressions, perceived and real, that they suffered at the hands of often arrogant employers during the Great Recession.
Here are some of the more prominent reasons employees are so anxious to move on to greener pastures:Opportunities are blocked
About 50% of survey participants told FPC that, while they have achieved more marketable skills with their current employer, opportunities for advancement at that employer are severely limited, leaving workers no choice but to search for a better career path elsewhere. They feel mistreated
The survey found that 28% of workers say their employers mistreated them during tough economic times and feel their company took advantage of their fragile job situation by adding more hours, curtailing raises and bonuses and even cutting salary when jobs were scarce. Now that that the economy may be on the upswing, workers feel they have some leverage and wouldn't mind sticking it to their employer by leaving for a better job.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV