Updated from 3:41 p.m. ET to reflect market close, additional analyst commentary from S&P Capital IQ.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Wall Street analysts are historically a bullish lot but the 20%-plus surge in the major U.S. equity indices since early October has eroded some of that optimism of late.
According to FactSet Research, the total percentage of buy ratings for S&P 500 companies has dropped to 51% as of March 1 vs. 54% on Dec. 31. The slack was picked up by hold ratings, which went to 44% from 42%, and sell ratings, now 5% vs. 4% at year-end. Those percentages are based on a total of 11,035 ratings on S&P 500 companies, FactSet said.
This was the second month in a row that analysts reduced their buy ratings, while increasing hold and sell ratings. Seven of the 10 sectors within the index saw a decrease in buy ratings with the financials, a market leader so far this year, hit hardest with a 5% decline.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV