Winning the Card Game: Month 2
The too-little-merchandise lesson from Valentine's Day will be remembered for holidays to come. "We're anticipating that Mother's Day is going to be the same
This time Card$mart will be ready.
"We basically move from one holiday to another. We packed up Valentine's and out goes Passover, Easter and St. Patrick's Day. Even though it seems so early, you don't want to have empty racks," Norman says.Lotto as a profitable business
Before owning Card$mart, Norman and Rothberg had no idea how profitable Lotto would be (in terms of actual dollars as well as in getting customers into the store). But running a Lotto business is a bit more complicated. Every six weeks, Card$mart gets a certain number of booklets on credit allotted by the New York State Lottery. The store is required to make a payment on those booklets every six weeks, but Norman finds she is selling out her games before the six-week period is up and having to pay the organization early to get more. She hopes to be able to increase soon what the organization will allow her to sell. Stores make 6% commission on lotto sales, she says. And so while "it's not enough to pay the rent," it is enough to fill the gaps on slow days and make sure the store has regular customers. Sick leave
While Valentine's sales dominated the month, another issue that popped up was store coverage when Michele became seriously ill with pneumonia. The partners learned a valuable lesson in having trustworthy employees and family members who were able to fill in. "We both have daughters who are high school seniors and need to look at colleges. She took off a Tuesday and Wednesday to look at schools," she recalls. "
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV