NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- First Solar (FSLR) disclosed in its annual 10-K filing this week that it is being investigated by the Securities and Exchange Commission for a possible violation of Regulation FD.
The issues behind the potential Regulation FD violation are related to the Department of Energy's decision to not provide loan financing for First Solar's Topaz solar project, first reported here.
Regulation Fair Disclosure mandates that publicly traded companies cannot selectively disclose any non-public information of a material nature.
First Solar stated in its 10-K that on Sept. 23, 2011, it informed the staff of the Securities and Exchange Commission that the company was opening an internal investigation regarding a possible violation of Regulation FD. The company stated that the possible violation arose in connection with disclosures on Sept. 21, 2011, relating to the failure of the Topaz Solar Farm project to meet the deadline to receive a federal loan guarantee from the U.S. Department of Energy.Following completion of the company's internal investigation, First Solar appointed a new vice president of investor relations, David Brady. The SEC, pursuant to an order dated Nov. 17, 2011, is investigating the matter, according to the First Solar 10-K, and the solar company said it is cooperating with the SEC's investigation. First Solar shares have declined 15% this week after fourth-quarter earnings and the 2012 outlook portrayed a solar company in the midst of a critical yet uncertain long-term strategic shift. First Solar also disclosed panel performance issues related to intense heat operating conditions. -- Written by Eric Rosenbaum from New York
Eric Rosenbaum. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Eric Rosenbaum. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV