A123 Systems: Is It All Over?
In the months leading up to the bankruptcy of Ener1, the company began talking down its relationship with flailing electric car maker Think Global and talking about its opportunity in the energy grid storage business. Ener1 wrote off its investment in Think, admitted that the electric car business simply couldn't be profitable for lithium ion battery companies any time soon, and said energy grid storage was the way to go.
Ener1's ambitious CEO Charles Gassenheimer was shortly thereafter ousted.
On Thursday after the close, A123 Systems announced that it was writing off its investment in flailing electric car maker Fisker, the ballast of its growth story until now. In recent weeks, A123 CEO David Vieau has also been talking up the opportunity in the energy grid storage market.When A123 announced earlier on Thursday that it had won a contract with India's Tata to supply batteries for electric buses, TheStreet noted it would have been nice if the company also released a date for its earnings, and that any investor who bought into the 6% rally on the Tata deal should expect
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV