NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As it is seemingly every week, Apple (AAPL) was the star of the technology sector this past week as it confirmed plans for an upcoming product announcement, sparking the usual round of feverish speculation.
On Wednesday, Apple confirmed it's holding an event next Wednesday, March 7. The expectation is that the iPad 3 will be revealed, and possibly Apple TV as well.
The invite is entitled, "We Have Something You Really Have To See. And Touch." The event will be held in San Francisco at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts at 10 a.m. PST.
The hype surrounding the next version of the iPad went into overdrive at the start of the week, as photos showed shipping manifests from China with Apple on them, presumably for the iPad 3.
The feature set on the iPad 3 is still largely unknown, though many expect Long Term Evolution (LTE), Retina Display, a longer battery life, a new processor, as well as several other features. Consumers are clamoring for the new iPad, whatever the feature set may be. More than 65% of TheStreet readers said they would buy the new iPad "no matter what." Another 30% of those who voted said they might buy the tablet, but would have to see what features Apple adds before they make their decision. The release of the new iPad should help Mac sales, say analysts, as the "halo-effect" surrounding Apple products continues. Apple sold 5.2 million Macs in its most recent quarter, up from 4.3 million a year ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV