Everything That's Wrong With the Economy in 1 PowerPoint Slide
NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- If it feels like the economic recovery is still more of a dream than a reality, this one slide should pretty much explain why.
The Treasury Department published a slideshow presentation online Thursday that sums up just how much the economy has improved during the Obama administration, including the 10 consecutive quarters of economic growth, the 3.7 million jobs added since early 2010 and the projected decrease in the national deficit.
But just for good measure, the Treasury included a single slide teasing everything that's still wrong with the economy. The slide was simply titled, "Challenges Remain, More Work Ahead." As you can see above, that might be a bit of an understatement.Total unemployment is still several percentage points higher than it was pre-recession, housing values remain at their lowest levels in about a decade and the median household income (when adjusted for inflation) is declining. In other words, Americans are working less, earning less and have less of a nest egg than they did in the years leading up to the recession. Meanwhile, other advanced nations are recovering more slowly than expected from the global recession, thanks in part to the debt crisis in Europe, which could potentially weaken our recovery at home. But how bad could it be? It's only one slide out of 13, after all. >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV