Chubb (CB) is one of the largest property-casualty insurers in the U.S., with a focus on commercial catastrophic coverage (much like ACE), but exposure to personal and specialty lines as well. Chubb has proven itself skilled at pricing risks, and willing to walk away from business if pricing doesn't make sense. While that's cost the company in years' past, it's resulted in a stronger insurance book.
Ultimately, that financial strength is an additional selling point for large-scale clients who need confidence in their insurers.One of the more interesting parts of Chubb's business is its willingness to move into specialty insurance products. That niche business means that the firm doesn't fight the commoditized pricing present in most insurance products, and it's able to sell scale that many other niche insurers can't touch. Last week, Chubb increased its dividend by 5.13%. The move brings the firm's quarterly payout to 41 cents per share, a 2.42% yield at current price levels. While Chubb isn't the highest-yielding stock in the insurance business, its defensible positioning makes it one of the more interesting ones. Income investors looking for a second or third insurance holding should take a closer look at CB. As of the most recently reported quarter, Chubb is one of >>Moore Capital's top holdings. To see these dividend plays in action, check out the Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV