Cowen Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: COWN) (“Cowen” or “the Company”) today announced its operating results for the fourth quarter and full-year ended December 31, 2011.
2011 Fourth Quarter and Full-Year GAAP Financial Information and Select Balance Sheet Data
For the fourth quarter 2011, the Company reported a GAAP net loss from continuing operations (including noncontrolling interests) of $(56.3) million, or $(0.49) per share, compared to GAAP net income from continuing operations of $4.1 million, or $0.06 per share, in the fourth quarter 2010. The year-over-year decrease in GAAP net income from continuing operations was primarily due to a 29% decrease in revenues and a 17% increase in expenses. Including discontinued operations, the Company reported a GAAP net loss of $(79.9) million in the fourth quarter 2011 compared to net income of $4.1 million in the prior year period.
The Company's total fourth quarter 2011 financial results included the impact of:
- A $(23.6) million net loss from discontinued operations related to exiting the businesses operated by LaBranche subsidiaries;
- A $7.2 million and $5.2 million impairment of goodwill and intangible assets, respectively, related to the broker-dealer segment;
- $3.9 million in non-cash expenses related to vacating the remaining portion of the leased premises at 1221 Avenue of the Americas;
- $1.1 million in non-cash expenses related to the termination of service contracts; and
- $10.6 million in severance expense related to our expense reduction plan (not including an additional $5.1 million of severance expense included in the net loss from discontinued operations discussed above).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV