Tredegar Corporation (NYSE:TG) reported fourth-quarter net income from continuing operations of $3.8 million (12 cents per share) compared to $7.3 million (23 cents per share) in the fourth quarter of 2010. Results from continuing operations in the fourth quarter of 2011 include a net after-tax loss of $3.0 million (9 cents per share) for special items primarily related to expenses incurred in relation to the acquisition of Terphane Holdings LLC (“Terphane”). Income from ongoing operations in the fourth quarter was $6.8 million (21 cents per share) versus $8.9 million (28 cents per share) in the fourth quarter last year.
Net income from continuing operations for 2011 was $29.2 million (91 cents per share) compared to $27.0 million (83 cents per share) in 2010. Results from continuing operations in 2011 include a net after-tax gain of $0.6 million (2 cents per share) for special items primarily related to the divestiture of our film products business in Italy and expenses incurred in relation to the acquisition of Terphane. Income from ongoing operations in 2011 was $28.6 million (89 cents per share) versus $28.9 million (89 cents per share) in the fourth quarter last year. Further details regarding these special items are provided in the financial tables included with this press release.
A summary of results for ongoing operations for the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2011 and 2010 is shown below:
|(In Millions, Except Per-Share Data)||Three Months Ended||Year Ended|
|December 31||December 31|
|Net income from continuing operations as reported under generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)||$||3.8||$||7.3||$||29.2||$||27.0|
|After-tax effects of:|
|(Gains) losses associated with plant shutdowns, asset impairments and restructurings||.9||.4||1.6||.8|
|(Gains) losses from sale of assets and other||2.1||1.2||(2.2||)||1.1|
|Income from ongoing operations*||$||6.8||$||8.9||$||28.6||$||28.9|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per share from continuing operations as reported under GAAP||$||.12||$||.23||$||.91||$||.83|
|After-tax effects per diluted share of:|
|(Gains) losses associated with plant shutdowns, asset impairments and restructurings||.03||.01||.05||.03|
|(Gains) losses from sale of assets and other||.06||.04||(.07||)||.03|
|Diluted earnings per share from ongoing operations*||$||.21||$||.28||$||.89||$||.89|
* Ongoing operations include operating profit (loss) of Film Products, Aluminum Extrusions and the Other segment as well as Corporate Expenses, Interest and Taxes. See Notes to the Financial Tables included with this press release for further detail regarding the items included in the reconciliation between net income (loss) and diluted earnings per share, in each case, as reported under GAAP (defined above) and income from ongoing operations and diluted earnings per share from ongoing operations, each being a non-GAAP financial measure. In addition, Note (h) within the Notes to the Financial Tables provides the definition of income from ongoing operations and the reasons why the measure is presented.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV