The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has named Lowe’s winner of the ENERGY STAR ® Sustained Excellence Award in Retail for the third consecutive year. The 2012 award recognizes Lowe’s long-standing leadership as a retailer of energy-efficient products. Lowe’s will receive the EPA’s most prestigious honor at a ceremony in Washington, D.C., on March 15, which marks the 20 th anniversary of ENERGY STAR.
Lowe’s is the only company to win the Sustained Excellence Award in the retail category since the award’s inception in 2004. The company is being honored for outstanding achievements year after year in customer outreach, employee training and product selection. Lowe’s has won 10 consecutive ENERGY STAR awards (2003-2012) for product retailing, more than any other retailer.
“To be awarded an ENERGY STAR honor every year for a decade reflects the tremendous dedication and effort of Lowe’s employees to help customers save energy and money,” said Tom Lamb, Lowe’s senior vice president of marketing and advertising. “We’ll continue to provide a growing number of energy-efficient solutions and look for more innovative ways to advance the mission of ENERGY STAR.”
Lowe’s has successfully integrated ENERGY STAR products into programs that have helped customers reduce utility bills and protect the environment. According to EPA estimates, Lowe’s sold enough ENERGY STAR products in 2011 to eliminate greenhouse gases equivalent to the emissions from nearly 240,000 cars and save customers nearly $190 million each year off their energy bills compared with products that aren’t ENERGY STAR qualified.Lowe’s achievements in delivering energy-efficiency savings to customers in 2011 included:
- Increasing the quantity and variety of ENERGY STAR products available in stores and online. Lowe’s carries ENERGY STAR items in all eligible categories it sells and has more ENERGY STAR appliances and qualified lighting products in stock than any other national home improvement retailer. Last year, ENERGY STAR appliances received more than 33 million product views at Lowes.com.
- Promoting ENERGY STAR as a way to save energy and money to an estimated 15 million customers per week. Lowe’s efforts included increased employee training, enhanced store signage and the expansion of ENERGY STAR end caps to provide energy-saving tips and products.
- Increasing national promotions for ENERGY STAR products and support for tax-free events. Lowe’s partnered with utility companies and other sponsors to host 550 energy-efficiency rebate events. Lowe’s also offered more than 150 rebates on energy-efficient lighting through utility partnerships.
- Launching new online tools such as the Light Bulb Buying Guide and Appliance Selector Tool to help customers make informed decisions about energy-efficient product purchases. Lowe’s new Rebate Center also makes it easier for customers to find manufacturer and utility rebates on ENERGY STAR products.
- Partnering with the U.S. Department of Energy and EPA at the 2011 Solar Decathlon to advance energy-efficient homes. In addition to providing on-site construction support to university teams, Lowe’s hosted the consumer workshop series, educated consumers on ENERGY STAR benefits and invited the EPA to conduct a seal-and-insulate clinic.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV