Andy S. writes, "My question to you is in response to Dacogen and its relation to sapacitabine developed by Cyclacel Pharmaceuticals (CYCC). Could you please explain whether Dacogen's approval/disapproval will impact sapacitabine's Phase III trial? Thanks!"
Some background: On Feb. 9, an FDA advisory panel voted not to recommend an expanded approval for Astex Pharmaceutical's (ASTX) cancer drug Dacogen to cover treatment for elderly adults with acute myelogenous leukemia (AML). The FDA's decision date for Dacogen in AML is Tuesday, March 6, but given the negative panel vote, an approval isn't likely.
If FDA doesn't approve Dacogen for AML, this poses a problem for Cyclacel Pharmaceuticals, which is testing its drug sapacitabine in combination with Dacogen as a potential new AML therapy. A phase III study comparing sapacitabine plus Dacogen versus Dacogen is ongoing.The short answer is "no" -- Cyclacel's phase III study should remain unaffected if FDA rejects Dacogen in AML. I asked Michael Becker of MD Becker Partners and a paid consultant to Cyclacel for help explaining why: 1. The sapacitabine phase III study was designed with a Special Protocol Assessment in which FDA agreed to the use of Dacogen despite the drug not being approved for AML.
Chris L. asks, "What's your take on the top brass at Vivus (VVUS) dumping their shares in the past week?" Smart. Opportunistic. Expected. If you own stock or options with a cost basis of $4 per share and their value rises suddenly to $22 per share, wouldn't you be selling too? I hope so. I'm not sure if this matters, but the investors who gobbled up shares of Vivus in this week's financing didn't seem to be bothered by the insider selling.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV