And please note that except to the extent required by applicable law, McDermott undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statement. Let me now turn the call over to Steve Johnson, McDermott's Chairman, President and CEO, for his remarks on our fourth quarter results, the full year and his views on the business and operational environment.
Stephen M. Johnson
Thanks, Jay, and good morning, everyone. To state the obvious, our fourth quarter was disappointing. The Atlantic projects in Mexico and Brazil, that also impacted our third quarter, offset otherwise good performance on the rest of our project portfolio. My objective this morning is to provide an overview of the quarter, the challenges we faced on the lost projects and probably more importantly, our outlook for the coming year. There's an important positive to this story. We don't anticipate full year 2012 to look like the second half of 2011. With the loss projects, we have one advantage with the fourth quarter results and the later reporting cycle, in that we are able to reflect the actual experience we had on these projects during January and February of 2012 into yesterday's reported financial statements.
Also, in our press release yesterday, we indicated that at this time, we view the current range of analyst estimates as reasonable book-ends for your expectations of McDermott this year. Our plan is right in that range and we believe it's achievable. For your modeling, we expect the first quarter to be the low point of 2012, with the improvement to come in subsequent periods. But before getting too far ahead, let me return my comments to a review of yesterday's news. I'll let Perry cover the financials and the details thereof shortly. But as pointed out, we had a number of items going both ways in the fourth quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV