March 1, 2012
The Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index finished up 2.34% in January. A new monthly commentary offers insight into hedge fund performance through the month of January. Some key findings from the report include:
- Hedge funds, as measured by the Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index, finished January up 2.34%; with 9 out of 10 strategies in positive territory;
- In total, the industry saw estimated outflows of approximately $15 billion in January, bringing overall assets under management for the industry to approximately $1.72 trillion;
- The Equity Market Neutral and Convertible Arbitrage sectors experienced the largest asset inflows on a percentage basis in January, with inflows of 2.27% and 0.87% from December 2011 levels, respectively;
- Directional strategies, such as Long/Short Equity, experienced positive performance driven by a risky asset rally. Mean reversion was a notable trend as sectors that performed poorly for the year in 2011 performed well in January;
- Tactical trading managers showed generally positive performance. Global Macro managers and Managed Futures funds posted gains as managers benefitted from macroeconomic shifts; and
- On the relative value front, managers showed positive performance in January. Fixed Income Arbitrage managers posted gains despite the swift change from a risk-off to a risk-on market.
Industry commentaries and publications are available in the "News" section of our website,
to view the full report which includes an overview of January hedge fund performance, in-depth commentary on individual hedge fund sectors and hedge fund return dispersion statistics for each strategy.
About Dow Jones Indexes
Dow Jones Indexes (
) is a leading full-service index provider that develops, maintains and licenses indexes for use as benchmarks and as the basis of investment products. Best-known for the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Dow Jones Indexes offers more than 130,000 equity indexes as well as fixed-income and alternative indexes, including measures of hedge funds, commodities and real estate. Dow Jones Indexes employs clear, unbiased and systematic methodologies that are fully integrated within index families. Dow Jones Indexes is part of a joint venture company owned 90 percent by CME Group Inc. (
) and 10 percent by Dow Jones & Company, Inc. (
), a News Corporation company (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV;
About Credit Suisse AG
Credit Suisse AG
Credit Suisse AG is one of the world's leading financial services providers and is part of the Credit Suisse group of companies (referred to here as 'Credit Suisse'). As an integrated bank, Credit Suisse offers clients its combined expertise in the areas of private banking, investment banking and asset management. Credit Suisse provides advisory services, comprehensive solutions and innovative products to companies, institutional clients and high-net-worth private clients globally, as well as to retail clients in
. Credit Suisse is headquartered in
and operates in over 50 countries worldwide. The group employs approximately 50,700 people. The registered shares (CSGN) of Credit Suisse's parent company, Credit Suisse Group AG, are listed in
and, in the form of American Depositary Shares (CS), in
. Further information about Credit Suisse can be found at
In its Asset Management business, Credit Suisse offers products across a broad spectrum of investment classes, including hedge funds, credit, index, real estate, commodities and private equity products, as well as multi-asset class solutions, which include equities and fixed income products. Credit Suisse's Asset Management business manages portfolios, mutual funds and other investment vehicles for a broad spectrum of clients ranging from governments, institutions and corporations to private individuals. With offices focused on asset management in 19 countries, Credit Suisse's Asset Management business is operated as a globally integrated network to deliver the bank's best investment ideas and capabilities to clients around the world.