NEW YORK, March 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index finished up 2.34% in January. A new monthly commentary offers insight into hedge fund performance through the month of January. Some key findings from the report include:
- Hedge funds, as measured by the Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index, finished January up 2.34%; with 9 out of 10 strategies in positive territory;
- In total, the industry saw estimated outflows of approximately $15 billion in January, bringing overall assets under management for the industry to approximately $1.72 trillion;
- The Equity Market Neutral and Convertible Arbitrage sectors experienced the largest asset inflows on a percentage basis in January, with inflows of 2.27% and 0.87% from December 2011 levels, respectively;
- Directional strategies, such as Long/Short Equity, experienced positive performance driven by a risky asset rally. Mean reversion was a notable trend as sectors that performed poorly for the year in 2011 performed well in January;
- Tactical trading managers showed generally positive performance. Global Macro managers and Managed Futures funds posted gains as managers benefitted from macroeconomic shifts; and
- On the relative value front, managers showed positive performance in January. Fixed Income Arbitrage managers posted gains despite the swift change from a risk-off to a risk-on market.
Industry commentaries and publications are available in the "News" section of our website, www.hedgeindex.com. Click here to view the full report which includes an overview of January hedge fund performance, in-depth commentary on individual hedge fund sectors and hedge fund return dispersion statistics for each strategy.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts