NEW YORK, March 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index finished up 2.34% in January. A new monthly commentary offers insight into hedge fund performance through the month of January. Some key findings from the report include:
- Hedge funds, as measured by the Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index, finished January up 2.34%; with 9 out of 10 strategies in positive territory;
- In total, the industry saw estimated outflows of approximately $15 billion in January, bringing overall assets under management for the industry to approximately $1.72 trillion;
- The Equity Market Neutral and Convertible Arbitrage sectors experienced the largest asset inflows on a percentage basis in January, with inflows of 2.27% and 0.87% from December 2011 levels, respectively;
- Directional strategies, such as Long/Short Equity, experienced positive performance driven by a risky asset rally. Mean reversion was a notable trend as sectors that performed poorly for the year in 2011 performed well in January;
- Tactical trading managers showed generally positive performance. Global Macro managers and Managed Futures funds posted gains as managers benefitted from macroeconomic shifts; and
- On the relative value front, managers showed positive performance in January. Fixed Income Arbitrage managers posted gains despite the swift change from a risk-off to a risk-on market.
Industry commentaries and publications are available in the "News" section of our website, www.hedgeindex.com. Click here to view the full report which includes an overview of January hedge fund performance, in-depth commentary on individual hedge fund sectors and hedge fund return dispersion statistics for each strategy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV