Last up is Ventas (VTR), a $16 billion senior housing and healthcare REIT that's been stuck in an uptrending channel since the August low in the broad market. Basically, the channel puts Ventas in a range between a dynamic support level to the downside, and a dynamic resistance level to the upside. In real world terms, that means that we've got a very good picture of Ventas' high-probability moves right now.
An uptrending channel is a bullish pattern, but the ideal entry point for this setup comes when shares bounce off of trend line support. That's because that price gives us the greatest vertical height as shares make their next attempt at traversing the channel. Buying on a bounce of trend line support also reduces traders' risks in VTR for two reasons: It reaffirms that VTR is able to catch a bid at support (so it acts like a price floor), and it means that if VTR does fall through support, shares don't have far to go before we know we're wrong and get stopped out.
Waiting for that bounce is crucial - support levels do invariably fail in the long-term. We want to make sure that trendline support in VTR is still solid before buying.VTR shows up on a list of the Best Growth Stocks for 2012. To see this week's trades in action, check out the High Volume Technicals portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV