The company in November settled a class action suit over maximizing overdrafts by processing the largest transactions first on a daily basis, by agreeing to pay $410 million to 13.2 million customers whose debit card overdraft fees had been maximized, when the bank processed larger transactions first.
The latest megahit on fee revenue was the Federal Reserve's clampdown on the interchange fees large banks charge merchants to process debit card purchases, as required by the Durbin Amendment to the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
The Durbin Rule reduced Bank of America's fourth-quarter revenue by $400 million.
Here's how the "opt-in" and Durbin rules affected the rest of the "big four" U.S. bank holding companies:
- JPMorgan Chase's (JPM) service charges during the fourth quarter of 2010 -- the first full quarter under the requirement that customers sign up for ATM and debit card overdraft protection in advance -- totaled $1.1 billion, declining 18% from a year earlier. The company said in its annual 10-K filing on Tuesday that "as a result of the Durbin Amendment, its annualized net income may be reduced by approximately $600 million per year."
- For Wells Fargo (WFC), fourth-quarter 2010 service charges on deposit accounts totaled $1.0 billion, declining 27% from a year earlier. The company said during the fourth quarter of 2011, it saw a "$365 million decline in debit interchange fees."
- For Citigroup (C), which has a much smaller U.S. deposit base than the other "big four" club members, fourth-quarter 2010 service charges on deposit accounts actually increased 1% year-over-year, to $158 million. The company said during the fourth quarter of 2011, main subsidiary Citicorp saw a slight year-over-year increase in retail banking revenue, to $4.1 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV