Dow Today: United Technologies (UTX) Leads The Day Higher, Caterpillar (CAT) Lags
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) closed down 53.0 points (-0.4%) at 12,952. During the day, 759.6 million shares of the 30 Dow components have changed hands vs. an average daily trading volume of 818.6 million. The NYSE advances/declines ratio closed at 1,029 issues advancing vs. 1,979 declining with 95 unchanged. The Dow component that led the way higher today was United Technologies (NYSE:UTX), which sported a 40-cent gain (+0.5%) bringing the stock to $83.87. Volume for United Technologies ended the day at four million shares traded vs. an average daily trading volume of 4.4 million shares. United Technologies has a market cap of $70.48 billion and is part of the conglomerates sector and conglomerates industry. Shares are up 14.2% year to date as of Tuesday's close. The stock's dividend yield sits at 2.3%. United Technologies Corporation provides technology products and services to the building systems and aerospace industries worldwide. The company has a P/E ratio of 15.2, above the average conglomerates industry P/E ratio of 14.6 and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. TheStreet Ratings rates United Technologies as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, increase in stock price during the past year and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins.
- You can view the full United Ratings Report.
- You can view the full Caterpillar Ratings Report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV