MEMSIC, Inc. (NasdaqGM: MEMS), a leading MEMS sensing solution provider, today announced financial results for the fourth quarter ended December 31, 2011.
- Revenues rose to $21.5 million from $11.4 million in the 2010 quarter. Total shipments of our sensor products rose to 35.0 million units from 11.2 million units in prior-year period.
- Gross margin was 35.9% compared to 41.1% in the 2010 quarter.
- Operating expenses, including a $4.5 million non-cash goodwill impairment charge related to the system solution business acquired from Crossbow Technology, totaled $11.6 million compared to $6.3 million in the 2010 quarter.
- GAAP net loss was $3.3 million, or $0.14 per diluted share, compared to net loss of $1.1 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, in the 2010 quarter. Before giving effect to the goodwill impairment charge, MEMSIC realized net income of $1.2 million, or $0.05 per share for the fourth quarter of 2011.
- EBITDA was ($2.3) million, compared to ($0.1) million in the 2010 quarter. Before giving effect to the goodwill impairment charge, EBITDA for the 2011 fourth quarter was $2.2 million.
Chairman, President and CEO Dr. Yang Zhao commented, “MEMSIC achieved record sales for the sixth consecutive quarter, again due primarily to the growing success of our magnetic sensor in the smartphone market. In fact, revenues almost doubled over last year’s period and we substantially exceeded the sales guidance we provided in early November. Our gross margin improved on a sequential basis, increasing to 35.9% from 32.5% and 33.8% in the second and third quarters of 2011, respectively. This improvement reflected the success of our initiatives to achieve margin improvement through technology innovation and manufacturing enhancements.
“The motion sensor and sensor fusion market has been growing at a rapid pace, especially in smartphones. In 2012, our goals are twofold. First, we are pursuing more design wins with global customers in the mobile phone and consumer market. Second, we are working to leverage MEMSIC’s proven MEMS sensor and sensor system integration technology to create more value-added products for the consumer, industrial and automotive markets. With our extensive capabilities to integrate MCU and software to create smart-sensing systems beyond sensor fusion, MEMSIC is an established leader in smart motion management.”
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts