Western Union (NYSE: WU), a leader in global payment services, today announced that the company now has mobile money transfer agreements with a total of 26 mobile wallet providers in 22 countries.
Twenty of these agreements are with mobile network operators, collectively representing over 285 million subscribers, while the remaining six are with banks and independents.
The company has already launched mobile money transfer services in nine countries: Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Canada, Kenya, Madagascar, Malaysia, the Philippines, Tanzania and the U.S.
“According to Gartner, mobile payment services are expected to reach US$245 billion in value worldwide by 2014,” said Diane Scott, Chief Marketing Officer and President, Western Union Ventures. “We are already a leader in the money-transfer category with our global network, with nearly half a million agent locations in 200 countries and territories. And with our strategic alliances with the world’s leading mobile operators, platform providers and banks, we believe we are well-positioned to succeed in digital money transfer as well.”Western Union also recently announced new mobile service launches in Bangladesh with Banglalink, Burkina Faso with Inova, and Madagascar with Telma. These three launches follow four new strategic alliances announced this week at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, including:
- A strategic alliance with Ericsson to integrate the Western Union Mobile Money Transfer network and the Ericsson suite of mobile commerce solutions;
- An agreement with WIND Italy to launch a service to allow WIND’s 21 million subscribers to send money-transfer transactions directly from their phones;
- An agreement with Roshan to introduce the Western Union Mobile Money Transfer service in Afghanistan;
- An alliance with Millicom International Cellular S.A. to introduce cross-border mobile money transfers in Latin America. The first service will launch in Paraguay under the Giros Tigo brand soon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV