Company: General Motors
Opportunity: Bring back the picnics
Remember the Saturn, that affordable, plastic-bodied car popular in the 1990s? The brand went away in 2009 after General Motors (GM) failed to close a deal with Penske Automotive Group (PAG) to acquire the unit.
We don't expect that GM will bring back the Saturn -- or the once popular Pontiac brand, for that matter -- anytime soon. A re-launch would also certainly go far beyond our criteria of "simple."
But they could take a page from a brilliant marketing strategy that helped the Saturn cultivate a fiercely dedicated following: It promoted ownership as being part of a "club," with a variety of special events that included periodic cookouts and picnics, notably at the Tennessee plant where the car was made.Would similar get-togethers and social events organized to thank owners and celebrate certain models be successful? Perhaps not, given the fast-paced, time-strapped lives many lead. But if this strategy once worked brilliantly in cultivating the cult of Saturn, it might be a relatively inexpensive way to cultivate all-important customer loyalty.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV