The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (Insider Monkey) -- We have been tracking the most popular stocks among hedge funds for more than a year now.
Hedge funds are known to be oriented toward the short term, but when we look at the most popular stocks among hedge funds we see that they are more focused on the long term than one might expect.
Apple (AAPL) and Microsoft (MSFT) have been among the top three most popular stocks since at least the end of 2010 (see the 10 most popular stocks at the end of September).This is consistency, and both stocks outperformed the market over the last year. For the past two quarters Google (GOOG) joined them. Even George Soros bet more than $150 million on the stock. We are bullish about Google as well. In fact mega-cap technology stocks are trading at very low forward price-to-earnings ratios compared to the market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV