The last third of anemia drug sales comes from small- and mid-sized, independent dialysis clinics. These guys don't get the sweetheart Epogen discounts from Amgen that Davita and Fresenius enjoy today so they're probably most open (and eager) for competition. Let's say Affymax can win a third of this bucket, or $200 million.
Peginesatide sales of $330 million at the end of 2015, of which Affymax receives half, risk adjusted at 90% given the looming approval decision, discounted back by 20%, yields a net present value of $73.7 million. Apply a five-times-sales multiple and you get an Affymax enterprise value of $368 million.
Please don't take these numbers to the bank but you get the idea.
Risks to the Affymax story: Amgen is an entrenched competitor that may be more difficult than anticipated to beat. Affymax and Takeda will operate the peginesatide business through a 50-50 joint venture; I generally don't like these setups because the smaller partner (Affymax) is at a disadvantage i.e. Onyx Pharma in its Nexavar joint venture with Bayer.@HemPaddy: "Why is YMI so low profile even after showing GREAT results - Street is not buying YMI story?" Referring to YM BioSciences (YMI) as "low profile" sounds like a polite euphemism for unloved? Ignored? Distrusted? You ask a great question; unfortunately, I don't have a definitive answer. YM Bio shares at $2 have barely nudged higher since the presentation last December of strong phase II data on its myelofibrosis drug CYT387.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV