Updated to reflect Warren Buffett's comments on Bank of America, TheStreet's poll results.
Hopes that the European crisis might not have a significant impact on the U.S. economy and expectations that there will be greater clarity on the regulatory front have helped turn the tide for bank stocks.
Other catalysts include banks' plans to return more capital to shareholders, policies addressing the housing market and of course an improving domestic economy.Still, the industry's worst is not behind it with banks continuing to be slapped with lawsuits and the sentiment in Washington towards Wall Street still largely hostile. TheStreet shortlisted the five banks that have rallied the most in 2012, focusing on banks that have an average trading volume of more than 500,000 and a market price greater than $1, to eliminate the more questionable names. The banks that have rallied in the last two months have largely been the weaker names, some of which are yet to repay government bailout money. However, their earnings upside could be significant if the economy strengthens. Here are the biggest winners in 2012, ranked in ascending order of year-to-date returns. 5. Popular
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV