Apple's market cap surpassed $500 billion in after-hours trading, just 40 days after it surpassed $400 billion in market cap.
Shares were recently up 0.17% in extended-hours trading to $536.26 according to Nasdaq.com. Shares closed the regular session, up 1.8% to $535.41.
The technology giant has surpassed each increment of $100 billion in market cap in exceedingly faster time-frames, as growth continues to surge at the Cupertino, Calif.-based company.When former CEO Steve Jobs returned to Apple in 1997, it took almost a decade for Apple to close a quarter at more than $100 billion in market cap, doing so in the June 2007, according to Bloomberg. It subsequently took Apple until the second quarter of 2010 to surpass $200 billion, a span of 11 quarters. Apple reached the $300 billion mark four quarters after that, doing so in the January 2011 quarter. It took Apple just three quarters to surpass $400 billion. It has now taken just 40 days to surpass $500 billion. Apple shares are up 32.2% year-to-date, and 51.6% in the past year. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV