Third, VAC was immediately accretive to earnings. It has performed well during the five months that we have owned them and is exceeding our expectations. This new business improves the profitability profile of our entire organization, with higher and more sustainable earnings. Finally, VAC brings abundant growth opportunities for both organic growth and bolt-on acquisitions. For example, we are growing this year in the automotive sector as past investment in product development is paying off. Also, VAC competes in some fragmented spaces and there are multiple acquisition opportunities. While VAC was certainly the biggest acquisition we have made since I joined the company, it was not the only one.
In December, we acquired Rahu Catalytics, a developer of specialty additives for coatings and composite applications. This acquisition adds to our product development pipeline, by providing us with the technology behind our cobalt replacement additives. We call this family of products Borchi OXY-Coat. This is critical for the long-term strategy of Specialty Chemicals, providing a clear path for growth and margin improvement while providing our customers with equal and friendly solutions. While we made significant investments this year, we did not compromise the strength and flexibility of our balance sheet. In fact, we have enhanced our balance sheet and created the capital structure to provide additional options in funding future growth opportunities.
One other highlight before you turn the slide, worthy of mentioning is the additional expertise that we added to our Board of Directors in 2011. The addition of Pat Mullin from Ohio and Hans-Georg Betz from Europe brings world-class expertise in global finance, alternative energy technology and commercialization along with global supply chain experience in Europe, Asia, and the Americas.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV