As Home Prices Fall Further, Is It Time to Buy?
By Diana Olick, CNBC Real Estate Reporter
NEW YORK ( CNBC) -- Nobody wants to catch a falling knife. It is as simple as that. If potential buyers see continued home price erosion, they will stay parked on the sidelines. But as with everything else in this unique and historic housing market, perhaps the usual logic doesn't apply.
"Housing is one of the great investments right now. I tell people all the time when they come up to me, they say, "What should I do, Mr. Trump?" I say go buy a house," said Donald Trump earlier today on CNBC.
"It wouldn't be an obvious mistake to buy a house now," hedged Robert Shiller, barely a few hours later.
| More from CNBC
Homebuilders Say Market Positives Trump High Gas Prices
Dream Job: Being an Astronaut and Blasting Off to ... Hawaii
My Solution to Gas Prices? Skype News Reports From Home
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV