The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK ( Trefis) -- China's second largest wireless service provider, China Unicom (CHU), said last week that it added 3.23 million subscribers in January that took its total tally past the 200 million mark.
The company now has about 203 million mobile subscribers, up 1.62% from the prior month.
The debut of Apple's (AAPL) iPhone 4S in China helped China Unicom add more than 3 million 3G subscribers, which accounted for almost 95% of the total net additions.China Mobile (CHL) and China Telecom (CHA) also released their monthly subscriber adds. Both reported a growing number of 3G subscriber additions, though they fell well short of China Unicom's net 3G adds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV