How Long Will a Few Late Payments Hurt My Credit?
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Q. I recently checked out my credit report and found a negative item on it regarding two months of late credit card payments. Both were only 30 days late and are now paid in full. Is there any way to get that removed or somehow updated it so it's not hurting my credit?
A. OK, let's start with the bad news. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, creditors are permitted to report a minor delinquency like the one mentioned here for up to seven years from the date they occur. During this time, it will have some effect on your score.
|It is possible to have a good FICO score despite some late payments on bills.|
While the initial hit can be steep, though, the impact lessens over time, making it possible to have a good FICO score despite the late payments. Delinquencies that are more serious -- for instance, payments that were 90 days or more overdue -- will take longer to begin aging off of the report."Assuming all else is well, you can expect your score to start recovering after as little as 12 months," says John Ulzheimer, CEO of SmartCredit.com. There is also an outside chance you can get your creditor to remove the negative item, especially if the late payments were atypical behavior. "You can certainly request what's referred to as a 'good will deletion' from the credit card issuer," Ulzheimer says. "Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. But it doesn't cost you anything to ask them to remove the late payments." >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV