POZEN Inc. (NASDAQ: POZN), a pharmaceutical company committed to transforming medicine that transforms lives, today announced results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2011.
Corporate Highlights of 2011
- POZEN monetized future royalty and milestone payments for sales of Treximet ® (sumatriptan / naproxen sodium) in the United States to a financial investor for $75.0 million (net proceeds of $71.9 million). The Company retained rights to 20% of all royalty payments after the first quarter of 2018.
- 2011 net sales of VIMOVO™ (naproxen / esomeprazole magnesium) delayed-release tablets were $33.8 million, generating an annual royalty of $2.9 million. VIMOVO has now been launched in a total of 28 countries.
- The PA32540 Phase 3 pivotal studies have been fully enrolled. Top line data are anticipated in Q2 2012 and the New Drug Application (NDA) submission is targeted for Q3 2012.
- A 12-month, Phase 3 study to evaluate the long-term safety of PA32540 in subjects who are at risk for developing aspirin-associated gastric ulcers has been completed. In the study, adverse events were as expected and consistent with what would be expected in this population of patients requiring cardio-aspirin therapy and with the known safety profile of the PA components.
- Data from our Phase 1 Co-Rx study suggest that PA32540 given with clopidogrel, dosed at least 10 hours apart, resulted in significantly better inhibition of ADP-induced platelet aggregation (anti-clotting) when compared to a current standard of care (81 mg of EC aspirin, EC omeprazole 40 mg and clopidogrel dosed together). The results were presented at the AHA meeting in November and the clinical significance of these data is presently unknown.
- The Company selected Keelin Reeds Partners LLC to assist in the strategic partner search for all PA assets, including PA32540 for both the U.S. and globally. Keelin Reeds is a global expert in helping life sciences companies value pipeline assets, develop business development strategies and execute partnership transactions.
- The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas issued a favorable verdict in the litigation between POZEN and several generic pharmaceutical companies which had filed Abbreviated New Drug Applications (ANDAs) seeking approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to market generic copies of Treximet. Treximet is marketed by POZEN’s exclusive U.S. licensee, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK). Each of the defendants has appealed the decision to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- POZEN entered into a license agreement with Cilag GmbH International, a division of Johnson & Johnson, for the development and commercialization of MT 400 in Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. MT 400 is POZEN’s proprietary combination of sumatriptan and naproxen sodium, the first multiple mechanism triptan therapy for the treatment of migraine.
Fourth Quarter Results
For the fourth quarter of 2011, POZEN reported revenue of $73.0 million, comprised of VIMOVO royalty of $1.1 million and the net proceeds from the monetization of the Treximet royalty of $71.9 million. For the fourth quarter of 2010, the Company reported total revenue of $29.0 million, resulting from royalty on sales of Treximet of $4.0 million, and $25.0 million from the approval of VIMOVO in a major ex-U.S. territory.Operating expenses for the fourth quarter of 2011 totaled $11.5 million, as compared to $11.4 million for the comparable period in 2010. The slight increase in operating expenses in the fourth quarter of 2011 was primarily due to higher pre-commercialization costs partially offset by lower patent litigation and R&D costs.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.