DETROIT ( TheStreet) -- February is shaping up as another strong month for automakers, with rising sales for most manufacturers and segments, led by a 29% increase in subcompact sales.
Overall, experts are projecting that U.S. light vehicle sales will rise 6% to 6.4%, with sales between 1.05 million and 1.1 million and a seasonally adjusted annual sales rate between 13.3 million and 14.4 million. TrueCar.Com said it raised its full-year sales estimate to 14 million from 13.8 million. Previously, GM (GM) estimated full-year 2012 light vehicle sales between 13.5 million and 14 million.
|2012 Ford Focus|
TrueCar projects February light vehicle sales of 1.09 million, while Edmunds.com projects sales of 1.1 million, up 6% from the same month a year earlier; Kelly Blue Book projects sales of 1.05 million up 6.4%."There's a rising tide of excellent buying conditions right now that is really driving auto sales momentum," said Edmunds.com analyst Jessica Caldwell, in a statement. "Between surprisingly strong sales over Presidents Day weekend, optimistic economic news and unseasonably mild weather conditions across the country, things seem to be breaking the right way for both car buyers and dealers." A correlation between the stock market and new vehicle sales continues, noted TrueCar analyst Jesse Toprak, in a statement. "Both the Dow Jones Industrial Average and new vehicle SAAR
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV