Monster Beverage (MNST), known as Hanson Natural until Jan. 9, markets and distributes popular brands of beverages such as Monster Energy Drinks and Hansen Natural. Hansen Natural produces soda, juice, lemonade, tea and flavored water.
Energy drinks are one of the fastest growing segments of the soft drink market, much as the handcrafted beer market is for the beer business. The most popular energy drink in the market place is Red Bull, which is owned by a privately held an Austrian company. Monster is second in market share behind Red Bull. Energy drinks sell for anywhere between $2 and $3 per can and hence have a much more robust profit margin that soda.Monster Beverage increased earnings by 34% in 2011 and is expected to do so by 23% in 2012. The stock sells for 30 times 2012 earnings. The company carries no debt and as of the most recent quarter held nearly $800 million of cash and short-term investments. The company's stock split 2-for-1 in the middle of February. As of the most recently reported period, Monster Beverage is one of the top holdings of Renaissance Technologies. -- Written by Scott Rothbort in Millburn, N.J.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV