So, if that is the case, why doesn't Apple use that cash hoard to buy back its own stock? Apple says it wants the cash for a rainy day. You need a Noah's ark kind of rain to put that money to work. Sure, it would have been terrific if Apple had bought stock a long time ago, but it didn't. Frankly, I don't care. It doesn't need to augment pure earnings by changing the divisor. That's just financial engineering unless the discount is so palpable that you must act. This is still tech. Someone could still come up with a better mousetrap in the foreseeable future, so maybe it won't be as cheap in, say, 2015 as it is now.
So how about a dividend? I would love one. Love it. But let's be real-world here. Why the heck are we being critical of Apple about the dividend, given the reward it has given you? Yes, we want that cash back, but I for one am not going to hold Apple's feet to the fire on this one.
My conclusion: you want Berkshire to go higher? Give us a dividend. You want Apple to go higher? Just keep doing exactly what you are doing. It's working. Enough said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV