Both stocks received buy ratings from TheStreet Ratings.
The home fashions retailer reported last week fourth-quarter earnings of $475.3 million, or 62 cents a share, up from year-ago earnings of $334.4 million, or 42 cents."TJX noted that significant traffic opportunities still exist even in the U.S. where only 25% of adults have shopped at TJ Maxx or Marshalls in the past year, as where the number is much higher for department stores," Wells Fargo analysts wrote in a Feb. 23 report. "By division, we are modeling comps up 3% for Marmaxx (guidance for up 1-2%), up 2% at HomeGoods (guidance up 1-2%), up 3% at TJX Canada (guidance up 2-3%), and up 5% at TJX Europe (guidance up 4-5%). For Q1 2012, we are modeling comps up 4%, also in line with guidance for up 2-4%." Shares of TJX hit a 52-week high Monday of $36.75. The stock's 52-week low of $24.13 was set on March 18. TJX has an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 14.26; the average for apparel retailers is 16.52. For comparison, Kohl's (KSS) has a lower forward P/E of 9.21; Ross Stores' (ROST) forward P/E is 16.25. Twenty of the 31 analysts who cover TJX rated it buy; 11 analysts gave it a hold rating. TheStreet Ratings gives TJX an A+ grade with a buy rating and a $47.16 price target. The stock has risen 13.75% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV