The second largest Florida institution is BankUnited of Miami Lakes, which is held by BankUnited, Inc. (BKU). The "new" BankUnited was formed was formed by an investor group led by John Kanas to acquire the old BankUnited FSB from the FDIC after the thrift failed in May 2009.
The investor group took the thrift public in January 2011. The holding company last Wednesday announced that its $71 million deal to acquire Herald National Bank (HNB) of New York had been approved by the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, and expected the acquisition to be completed on Feb. 29.
Interested in more on BankUnited? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Strongest Florida Banks and ThriftsBased on fourth-quarter financial reports, only two Florida institutions were assigned "recommended" ratings of B-plus or above by Weiss Ratings:
Thorough Bank Failure CoverageThere have been only two bank failures in Florida this year, following 13 closures in 2011, 29 in 2010, and 14 in 2009. Since the current wave of bank and thrift closures began in 2008, Florida has had 60 institutions shuttered by regulators, trailing only Georgia, which has seen 75 institutions fail, and leading Illinois, with 48 failures, and California, which has had 38 bank and thrift failures since the beginning of 2008. There were two bank failures on Friday. All 423 previous U.S. bank and thrift closures since the beginning of 2008 are detailed in TheStreet's interactive bank failure map:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV