10 Things You Should Always Buy Used
While cribs are always going to be in ready supply on the secondhand market, it's not the only type of furniture you can find used for a great price. We've always found a ton of used furniture on the market in big cities, where people who don't want to bring their heavy furniture to a new apartment will put it on Craigslist at a huge discount.
Scott says she generally advises staying away from upholstered furniture such as couches, as it's difficult to clean and could harbor bedbugs. Instead, go with furniture that can easily be scrubbed.
"Anything like bookshelves, tables, chairs, coffee tables ... anything you can wipe down with a cleaning agent," she says.
Wilson suggests buying old musical instruments used -- not only because it's much cheaper than buying new, but because they can have surprising resale value down the line.
Reader Niki Holweger suggests buying weight-lifting equipment used. We were able to find remarkably cheap exercise equipment on Craigslist. And for certain items the quality is unlikely to deteriorate -- it's not as if the weights are about to get lighter, and while you may think it's gross to buy something someone has been sweating on, it likely has hard, nonporous surfaces that can easily be cleaned. Obviously you'll want to watch out for rust and test out anything with a lot of moving parts, especially electronic equipment such as treadmills and stationary bikes. But if you're just looking for a bench and some heavy weights, there's no sense buying a shiny new set when old weights will suffice.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV