10 Things You Should Always Buy Used
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- If you're buying it new, you're paying too much.
OK, that's going a bit far. Certain products don't hold up as well to wear and tear and should probably be bought new most of the time. Think car tires or underwear, for instance.
|Books, whether textbooks or meant for enjoyment, are among the many items best bought used by consumers trying to cut back on overspending.|
But other products are much cheaper when bought secondhand despite experiencing little reduction in quality, so it would be crazy not to at least consider buying them used. Here are 10 examples.
These days most video games have extensive multiplayer modes, many of which will keep people playing for months and even years after they buy. But many gamers will nevertheless tire of a game shortly after completing the single-player campaign, and with even the longest games rarely taking more than 50 hours to complete, used games tend to flood the secondary market shortly after a game is released. That means big savings for patient gamers.
Obviously when you buy a used car you're running the risk of ending up with a lemon, but the economics of the car market make it hard to pass up. "New cars depreciate by thousands the second you drive them out of the dealership," points out Brad Wilson of deal site BradsDeals.com. "Just never be an idiot and buy a car without having it inspected by your own trusted mechanic." As Wilson suggests, you'll want to cover all your bases before buying a used car. You should also keep in mind that cars depreciate at different rates, so to maximize value you'll want to snatch up a used car that will hold its value well.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV