Rating Change #7
Kinross Gold Corporation (KGC) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- KINROSS GOLD CORP has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, KINROSS GOLD CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$1.82 versus $0.93 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 1423.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $210.30 million to -$2,783.70 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, KINROSS GOLD CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 31.03%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 1461.11% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The gross profit margin for KINROSS GOLD CORP is rather high; currently it is at 55.00%. Regardless of KGC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, KGC's net profit margin of -293.20% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
Kinross Gold Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, engages in mining and processing gold ores. It is also involved in the exploration and acquisition of gold bearing properties. The company has a P/E ratio of 25.5, above the average metals & mining industry P/E ratio of 13.4 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Kinross has a market cap of $12.04 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. Shares are down 0.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.You can view the full Kinross Ratings Report or get investment ideas from our investment research center.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV