Most Smartphone Subscribers Use Wi-Fi As Their Primary Connection For Data Usage According To New Research
BARCELONA, Spain, Feb. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Today at Mobile World Congress, Mobidia Technology, Inc., a leading provider of device-centric, mobile data solutions, and Informa Telecoms & Media, a leading analyst firm, jointly released new research that provides important and compelling insights into worldwide Wi-Fi usage by smartphone users.
For the first time, Mobidia is providing mobile operators and the wider mobile industry ecosystem with an understanding of consumer behavior surrounding data usage on all the networks to which smartphones frequently connect, including mobile home networks, roaming networks and Wi-Fi networks. By looking at this behavior, Mobidia and Informa have been able to draw the following conclusions among others:
- Total data usage on smartphones is much higher than generally reported throughout the industry. In fact, the conclusions show that Wi-Fi data consumptions exceeds cellular by a factor of two-to-one and that Wi-Fi accounted for 70 percent of all smartphone-originated traffic within the sampled user base.
- Across the global smartphone user base sampled, 91 percent of smartphone subscribers use Wi-Fi for data usage purposes.
- It is clear that, for an overwhelming majority of smartphone users, Wi-Fi is employed as the primary data connection of choice.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV