USA Beats Estimates as Loss Widens
Barry Diller's USA Networks (USAI), which operates the Home Shopping Network and ticket agency Ticketmaster, among other things, on Thursday reported a wider third-quarter operating loss per share but beat consensus estimates.
The company reported a pro forma loss per share of 10 cents, excluding one-time charges and nonoperating gains, vs. 8 cents a share a year ago. Analysts surveyed by First Call/Thomson Financial had projected a loss of 18 cents per share.
Cash flow as measured by total pro forma earnings before income tax, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) rose 22%, to $159.8 million from $136.3 million a year earlier.
USA's SCI FI network posted strong growth numbers, as its revenue jumped by more than 40%, to $64.4 million. The channel saw its viewership increase, and USA said SCI FI is now the No. 1 network in adult viewers 25-54, a demographic favored by advertisers.USA, which also operates the flagship USA Network, blamed higher income tax costs, equity losses in unconsolidated investments and amortization of goodwill in connection with various acquisitions for its third quarter EPS loss. Earlier this week, USA said it was considering merging its Ticketmaster unit with its half-owned Ticketmaster Online-CitySearch (TMCS). Pro forma revenue from its operating business totaled $1.12 billion, compared with pro forma revenue of $924.9 million a year earlier. USA shares rose 75 cents to $17.75 in early trading Thursday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV