Gold for April delivery was shedding $9.20 at $1,777.10 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price traded as high as $1,784.40 and as low as $1,772.40 an ounce while the spot price was falling $3.60, according to Kitco's gold index.
Shortly after U.S. markets opened, it was reported that the final University of Michigan/Thomson Reuters index of consumer sentiment for February came in at 75.3, up from 75 the prior month, and was the highest reading since Feb. 2011. This exceeded the average economist expectation of a reading of 73 according to a Thomson Reuters survey, and rebounds from a decline to 72.5 in February's preliminary reading.
Jon Nadler, senior metals analyst with Kitco Metals, said despite today's slight pullback, there are more European debt issues looming that are likely to keep gold prices up. "At this point, the pressure remains high not only on Greece to 'perform' following its receipt of the Eurogroup's second bag of money, but also on the IMF," said Nadler. "The institution is seen as having to commit a whole lot more cash in order to avert certain economic outcomes (already manifest) in the European theater. China and Japan have both signaled that they are willing to help...but
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ross Tucker. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/rosstucker. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV