Paint and coating manufacturer Sherwin-Williams (SHW) is in rally mode right now, breaking through the $100 mark in yesterday's session to close just shy of $101. That's not the only way investors are seeing returns from this stock right now -- last week, SHW announced a 6.85% increase to its quarterly dividend. The move puts the firm's total yield at 1.55% right now.
Sherwin-Williams has a unique model for a paint company. Yes, the firm owns an attractive portfolio of brands that range from its namesake label to Dutch Boy, Krylon, and Thompson's Water Seal. But what's really interesting are the nearly 3,400 company-owned paint stores that span North America. Owning stores isn't a cheap proposition, but it does increase customer stickiness, a crucial factor for success in the age of the big-box hardware store.While the recession (and its impact on construction-centric stocks) did have an outsized impact on Sherwin-Williams, the firm has rebounded hard in recent years, closing 2011 with sales that were well in excess of pre-recession highs. With a rock solid balance sheet and palpable growth right now, this stock paints an attractive picture for investors -- even if it doesn't qualify as a core income holding. To see these dividend plays in action, check out the Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV