Oil Prices and Currencies: Analysis
By Mark McCormick and Ilan Solot
NEW YORK (BBH FX Strategy) -- In this piece, we look to analyze which currencies in the G10 are the most sensitive to oil prices and take a brief look at the policy implications following the roughly 12% increase in oil since early February.
First, it is important to note that while there are some differences between the correlation of WTI and Brent, for the most part, the correlations of both oil benchmarks are pretty tight on a short-term basis. Between the two, recent FX moves tend to be more closely related with moves in the WTI. But on a five-year horizon, currencies are more sensitive to changes in the Brent, perhaps due to the fact that Brent is more influenced by global factors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV