With so many banks in Illinois, there are bound to be more than a few feeling the pinch as checking accounts become less and less profitable.
Of course, the banks with the greatest incentive to merge with stronger institutions are the ones still reeling from credit losses.
According to data provided by HighlineFI, there were 19 undercapitalized Illinois banks and thrifts as of Dec. 30 -- which were included on TheStreet's Bank Watch List -- not including Charter National Bank and Trust of Hoffman Estates, which was shuttered by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency on Feb. 10, and sold by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. to Barrington Bank & Trust Company, NA of Barrington, Ill., which is a subsidiary of Wintrust Financial (WTFC) of Lake Forest, Ill.
Since the Watch List is based solely on capital ratios, we take a different approach on our quarterly coverage of banks in key states, by looking at overall credit quality to identify troubled institutions.
Illinois Banks with Weakest Asset QualityThe following list includes all banks in the state with nonperforming assets comprising more than 15% of total assets as of Dec 30:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV