Sorry, laptop zombies, but you're not the only ones who need some space to work every so often.
Since Starbucks and Panera frown on customers soldering circuitry at their tables, rehearsing green-screen fight scenes near the barista stand and sucking up spilled lattes with your homebrew vacuum, the technically inclined need a better place to put their talents to use. That's where Seattle's Jigsaw Renaissance comes in.
Home to robotics geeks, coders, appliance modifiers and builders, hackers and doers of all sorts, Jigsaw Renaissance is a hobbyist, entrepreneur and freelancer's second home. General membership starts at $15 a month for a member box for all your stuff, but can get even lower for starving artists and students who can prove extenuating circumstances. If business is a bit better, though, $100 a month buys a key and 24/7 access, while $200 tacks on a 6-foot-square designated area.Jigsaw Renaissance doubles as a learning workshop and a place for kids to come and work on their own projects, but it also provides the kind of labor space a city such as Seattle sorely lacks. It's a similar case in other cities, where spaces including Brooklyn's Treehouse, NYC Resistor and Alpha One Labs; Detroit's i3 Detroit; San Francisco's Hacker Dojo and NoiseBridge; and Denver's Club Workshop allow members to build freelance time-tracking devices, stain bookshelves or even work on cars -- depending on the facility. -- Written by Jason Notte in Boston. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV