Shares of Capital One Financial (COF) rose over 2% to close t $49.30.
The shares have returned 14% year-to-date, after a flat performance during 2011.
Capital One now trades for eight times the consensus 2012 earnings estimate of $5.76 a share. The consensus 2013 EPS estimate is $6.78.The company completed its acquisition of ING Direct last Friday, and now has the liquidity needed to support its next major acquisition, of HSBC's (HBC) U.S. credit card portfolio, which is expected to be completed during the second quarter, contingent on approval from the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. Capital One is expected raise up to $1.25 billion in common equity, to support the HSBC deal. KBW analyst Melissa Roberts on Thursday said that with the impact on Capital One's share count from the ING deal, index funds tracking the S&P 500 Index will need to purchase about 12.3 million Capital One shares. KBW rates Capital One "Outperform," with a $48.25 price target, estimating the company will earn $5.64 a share in 2012, followed by EPS of $5.53 in 2013. Interested in more Capital One? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV