And so just briefly on the headlines of the results, which most of you will have seen, as you know fundamentally, RBS is doing the job in some ways of 2 different jobs. We are, as I have said in the media, in the process of diffusing the biggest time bomb ever put in a bank's balance sheet, and that progress is going extremely well. And at the same time, we're running a very big global complicated bank competing against lots of other people serving our customers. And we believe that we've made progress and could be paired -- can be compared reasonably for that effort as well.
And you'll see, I'm not going to read every line, that in 2011, we made progress right across the board in strengthening our balance sheet, strengthening the way it's funded, running down well ahead of schedule on Non-Core division and its assets; in the Core bank, making good profits and good progress, albeit, in the case of GBM in particular, only in line with the industry, which was down. And so we can see just on these few numbers in the second slide that we have operating profit, if you like, in the bit of our bank that you can compare to Barclays or Lloyds or whatever else you want to compare it to, GBP 6.1 billion of profits and a return on equity of 10.5% and stable net interest margin and so on as you read down this. And that bank is funded entirely, at least as to its loan book, by deposits with a 94% cost-income ratio.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV